Sunday, March 29, 2009

Volcano troubles


I'm sure that some of you have seen on the news that we have a troublesome volcano up here in our midst. It is about a hundred miles away, and on a clear day it is visible from our back deck but only about an inch and a half tall. I need to get a picture of it from our deck........(since it erupted the weather has kept it hidden from view) I took this picture of Mt. Redoubt when we were down at the mouth of the Kenai river dipnetting last summer. It really is a beautiful mountain/volcano. It is just giving us a little trouble right now. It has erupted about 19 times so far in the past week or so but most of the time it didn't effect us because of the wind currents. Saturday it had a pretty good eruption and sent a lovely ash cloud our way. It was a strange sight to see a big grey-brown cloud envelop the area. Church was canceled for today, and so was Haakon's flight for a work trip. I guess this kind of thing could be happening for the next few months......... It could be worse and we feel grateful that it is only ash that we are dealing with. I am also grateful to know that because we have followed the counsel of the church concerning food storage we would be just fine if we had to be house bound for any length of time.
I will try to post some more pictures of the ash etc. when I get a chance.

2 comments:

Kritta22 said...

Good thoughts about food storage!!

Bobbi Mason said...

Great picture! I can't wait to go camping!!