Saturday, May 10, 2008

Child of the World?

My daughter had her first School Music Program yesterday. I feel all grown up now! I have a child performing in a music program at school. ha ha! I felt like such a stereotypical parent with my video camera poised in anticipation.

We were very proud of her! She did a great job and sang her group's song very well about having courage like a lion.
It was a cute progam with songs about positive attributes that children should have..... courage, integrity, honesty, etc. etc.

There was a song they sang at the beginning and the end that was based on the programs theme "Child of the World" and I just couldn't get my head around it. Every time they would sing "I am a child.......of the world" I would think or hope they were going to say "of God".

It made me think about the need that we have as parents to make sure that our children really understand who they are. The reality that the "world" is going to have an influence on my daughter is there. I just hope that she can glean the good things from it and recognize and avoid the bad.

Will our children remember that they are not a child of the world.... but a child of God?

1 comment:

Melinda H. said...

I am sure she did a great job in her program. How fun that she's already involved in that kind of thing. I get what you are saying about singing "I am a child of the world", that would a hard one to grasp, especially for a child when all they sing at primary is "I am a child of God" or as Austin my 5 year old would say "I am THE child of God". Gotta love kids! It was fun hanging out on Friday night, I am glad that I was invited.