Our fourth summer in Alaska we bought a pop-up tent trailer for $1,000 and used it for the Summer. Unfortunately I don't have a picture handy of that one. It was cute and small but it worked just fine for our family.
That winter Haakon found someone who was selling a much nicer pop-up for around $2,000 (with some wheeling and dealing). We purchased the second and then sold the first for it's original price in the spring.
This was an excellent pop-up, much more spacious and worked great.... until we had a little mosquito encounter camping in the middle of no where. They found their way in and had eaten our little children alive by morning. We woke up to a swarm of huge, over-glutoned mosquitoes barely hovering because of their full abdomens. After literally saying a prayer that a wind would come up so that he could take down the pop-up and we could load the kids(which worked by the way), Haakon decided that we needed something better. (For the record, I was fine with duck taping the corners and stuffing paper towels in the nooks and crannies.)( Yes people, I am a true Alaskan now.)
When we got home he listed the pop-up for around double what we got it for (it's actual worth) and started looking on Craig's List for a travel trailer. Of course, he found a deal, we paid cash out of pocket and enjoyed the travel trailer for the rest of the summer. (This was the summer that Haakon had 6 weeks paid paternity leave.) It wasn't anything too fancy but was in great condition.
Near the end of the Summer he started to voice concerns that the travel trailer was putting too much wear and tear on our Toyota. I thought to myself, here we go again......
By early Spring, yes folks, he had found yet another deal and we were able to pay only slightly more for our motor home than we received from the sale of the trailer. It is a great camper and now he can tow down his drift boat when we go camping down on the Kenai.....
What you might find humorous (at least I did) is that the next two camping trips we went on right after this purchase were not quite the RV experience.
Little tent. (we've owned for years)Bigger tent. (we actually borrowed)
I admit.... that last trip was just a little bit to prove to ourselves that we hadn't gone soft just because we own an RV.
Now..... if I haven't convinced you of the addiction...
Here is his latest purchase.
Yes, I know, isn't that kind of where we all started this?
This Pop-up just happened to get thrown in last minute as a package deal with an empty trailer he was buying.
He just sold that pop-up.... (on Craigs List)
What could he be looking for on Craig's List now??
Remember the empty trailer I mentioned? He's got to fill it. Snowmachine or four wheeler, which ever he finds first.
And I can guarantee it is going to be a good deal.
I sure love that man!


9 comments:
It's the circle of life via campers!! Did you start reading Seedfolks yet?
Your husband is as good as spend money as mine is!! :)
I think that is an addiction!
Hope you guys are all well...we are sick today! Yuck!
You guys are crazy!!!
I love it!! I have a friend down here who's addicted to craig's list too...it's so funny! Hmmm...I think I remember him hanging out w/ the kids in the house browsing for a drift boat on craig's list while you guys where down here. Too funny!
I think Haakon would get along great with my dad. One summer my dad bought three tractors. At least you can sleep in an RV. I think my dad is into ebay. I better not tell him about craigslist. I love that you can still sleep in a tent knowing that there is a more comfortable option.
Maybe he can sell one of our trucks for us. We've had crappy luck with craigslist as of late. Lots of calls and lots of no shows. Press on, press on. You're going to have to get a bigger driveway. =)
Oh, and I thought that Haakon had changed over the years...glad to see he's the same bargain hunter since 1993!!
Aaron
so i've heard from a few that south side is winning you guys over. bummer :{ i'll keep looking anyways :D
I thought you guys were too tough for such cushy things. I'm glad he never mentioned any to Mike. He'd be wheeling and dealing too. We just bought a new tent for Christmas which I'm not convinced about since it's so big and we seem to camp where there are small places. Hmmm Oh well. Maybe we'll end up getting a few pop ups or something. Looks fun.
Post a Comment