Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Labor Day Weekend

Over Labor Day weekend we went camping out at Matanuska Glacier with Gramma and the cousins and then on to Lake Louise (the Alaskan one). We had a great time!


Our campsite with a great view of the Glacier.


Beautiful fall colors just starting to come out.Gramma playing in the glacial moraine dirt with all the grandkids. Corinne, Lauren and thier cousin Saraya.
Cool formations in the glacial silt
As close as we got to the Glacier before the silt got the best of us.

Torsten having fun in the backpack.

At Lake Louise the kids rode their bikes.



Unfortunately, Torsten was the only one without a helmet. He bit the dust on Wormy and got a lovely (but small) gash over his left eye.

Never a dull moment. In the vacant campsite next to us we found a big bush of wild raspberries.
The kids had a great time picking them (and eating them too).
Even Torsten got into it.

The only problem was that he squished them

just before he would put them in the bucket.

I ended up making raspberry syrup with them. Here is a proud Lauren with her booty. Yummy!
The next day we went on a walk on a trail that led to some deserted cabins.

Artsy pic.

I made my first attempt at videoing with our regular camera. (We have a HD video but it is too much for a blog.) I forgot one important thing....


Even looking at the video with your head at a tilt you might have noticed that our kids were quite creative in their hiking techniques.



Torsten was hilarious and would suddenly veer off the trail at any given moment. In this instance it was straight into a bush. Needless to say it took a while to make the short loop.


At the end of the hike we sat by the waters edge and enjoyed the sunshine and throwing rocks in the water. It was so nice to just relax, hang out and have fun as a family!




What, Haakon tired? Never!

9 comments:

WillandTara said...

How do you make raspberry syrup? Your kids are so cute. You really inspire to get out more.

Kritta22 said...

That's so fun that you guys can go do that! Cute artsy picture!

Heidi said...

That's funny boy's are crazy, is it cold there? It looks cold! Very pretty too.

annie said...

That looked like another fun adventure! I love Midge playing with the grandkids!! She's so fun! I love the little pitter patter of Torsten's little feet! So cute!

Fishin' Ponds said...

I love that you guys get out and "do" stuff with your kids. When people tell us that things will change and we won't be able to go and "do" stuff...I just come read your blog, and feel all better! :)

Kaye and Jared said...

WOW!! I love it to that you are on the go with your kids! (I was thinking the same thing before I read Peppers post - and definitely agree with her!) You're kids are so cute!! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!!

Anonymous said...

Johnsons make the cutest kids

Brett said...

haha somehow it posted that anonymously, that's me..... sneaky

Brett and Lex said...

What a cute family! I love those videos of Torsten! Haha, funny little guy! I found cute dresses for the girls. I'll have to send some pictures to you and Rams.