In January we were invited by our friends Ty and Liz Z. to join them out at a friends cabin on 20 mile river (just past Girdwood). It is only accessible by boat in the summer and trekking over the ice in the winter so hence our arctic adventure began. Corinne went ahead with Ty and Liz but Lauren and Torsten were pulled by Haakon in the chariot. It was about -11 with a strong wind when we left and I was still gathering up gear so Haakon took off as soon as they were all ready, to minimize the time in the cold.
You can see him up ahead of me in the middle of the image. He is the little tiny almost imperceptible dot. We were headed for the cabin hidden in the trees straight ahead of him. Total it is about a one mile trek to get back there.
The pictures just don't do justice to the wind that whipped across a large stretch of the river. It was biting cold. Fiercely cold. I thought I was going to lose one side of my face to frostbite.
Haakon didn't have a neck warmer so he improvised with one of Corinne's extra shirts. The kids were bundled nice and warm in the chariot and Lauren even took a nap.
After we passed through the arctic gauntlet and the wind stopped howling and throwing stinging snow at us I was able to snap a quick picture of Haakon with ice crystals in his eyelashes.
It was an absolutely amazing place and the view was breathtaking!
Looking back you can see the wind whipping up the snow where we had just trekked across. Isn't it a beautiful place!

Warming up in the little cabin after our trek. Haakon has Torsten and Liz and Ty's son Zach. He is sitting with friends Ben and Tiffany.
Playing with our friends dogs.
A quick family picture before we headed back.
We had a great time and would do it again in a heartbeat. Preferably in a little warmer weather! Thanks Liz and Ty!



6 comments:
you guys know how to play hard. that's how memories are made. i like reading your blog.
You are hard core. Extreme hard core. I love that having kids doesn't stop you from having super adventures! Way to go!
That is tough of you guys! What a fun time. Those kinds of things your kids are going to remember forever. I hope the trek back wasn't so cold.
Ok. We want to be out more in the winter. How do we do it? This year for Christmas we got everyone a snowboard but now we don't have the money to pay for lifts. We love to hike and camp in the summer so I'm thinking we need snowshoes and ice-skate? HELP! What do you think I should do?
Congratulations on the new boy. We will be have a boy too. Due in May.
I couldn't do it. I shivered while I read this post. You have always been so adventurous. I'm glad you are doing these things so I can enjoy your artic-ness. You really are making some fun memories.
Looks like a lot of fun!!
Post a Comment