Living in Alaska, we have learned that friends will come and go.
It has been especially common place for us because our ward included the military base and post here.
One summer I had so many friends leave that I resigned myself not to make any new friends. I just couldn't take the fact that I would eventually have them leave too. Of course, then new people moved into the ward and that attitude was forgotten.
Unfortunately, my children have been affected by this too. They have had several friends leave the state over the past few years. On a regular basis out of the blue Corinne will say "Mommy, I miss __ so and so__. I wish I could play with her/him."
We had some friends over this past week for a final dinner/visit before they moved out of Alaska. Corinne was close friends with their son Andy. Our children sadly but energetically hugged each other, said their goodbyes and then the family left.
Then, Haakon put on his coat and headed out the door to go to a meeting. As the girls looked at him walking down the driveway to his car Lauren said in a completely forlorn voice, "Is daddy going away forever too?"
Luckily, daddy wasn't going away forever, and neither are all our friends who have and will leave the state. We cherish those friendships and feel lucky to say that we now have friends living in places all over the U.S and even the world. It is fun to keep in touch with all of them, especially through email and blogging.
I am so grateful for all of my friends wherever they are, and look forward to continuing friendships and NEW friendships in the future!
Chinese Themed Party
9 years ago


5 comments:
Good thing we have 2 years before we have to say good-bye! Actually that sounds a bit to short. I'm crying already.
I have found that you just live for each time you see your friends. No matter if they are in the military or not, you never know when they will leave your world. Like you said, even ones that didn't sign up for the military are affected by it. IT breaks my heart and wish we could just pack up everyone and move with us. Wanna go to Florida?!
That was really hard about living in that ward! We have a few coastie friends here that are moving soon so I guess you never get completely away from it.
I am so glad we're still in the state and get to see you every so often! Hope you make it to Valdez again this summer!
We are the ones that nobody wants to make friends with, because we are not ranchers they don't want to invest in our friendship. We have always said we love living here and plan on being here for a long time. But 10 years is not long enough.
Sorry to be such a downer. But we miss friends and feel it's time to move to find some. I have loved and lost in my life and believe "It is better to have loved and lost then to have never have to have loved at all!!!!"
I agree, it is hard to say goodbye. I'm grateful for life long friends. You fit into that category. Love ya.
Post a Comment