Monday, March 29, 2010

Tour of Anchorage on a Monday!

In Anchorage there is a X-Country ski race called "Tour of Anchorage" that goes on the awesome trail system we have here all the way from the mountains down to the ocean. There is a 50K, 40K and a 25K. I have always wanted to do this race but it happens to fall on a Sunday and so it won't ever happen. We did realize though that the trails would still be groomed and nice the day after the race so....... a few of us did 25 kilometers of it on that Monday after.

Myself, Allison and Amy getting ready to head down the trail.
At one point on the trail we had fairly heavy snowfall.

Here we are about mid-way or less...... Thanks to Amy's amazing reach for these shots! Up to this point, the furthest I had skate skiied was about 7 miles.

Here I am at the end of our 25K. On the very last turn I fell down and had to lay there for a while because it felt soooo good! (If I would have been in the Olympics I would've really been bummed for crashing right before the end of the race!)

Not counting a 10 minute first aid break, (Allison got a big blister on her foot.) we finished in 2 hours and 10 minutes!

We have decided to make this a yearly tradition. Anyone is welcome to join us next year! Who knows..... maybe one day we can move up to the 40 or 50K? Right now, I am happy with our 25 K accomplishment! Yay!

3 comments:

Smedley Family said...

fun!!! if i get skate skis, i'll do it!! miss you guys!

annie said...

You are amazing!! Way to go! I'd LOVE to do that... though I don't even own skis!! :o)

Cathie said...

I'm in! I'm in! I'm in for next year!