Friday, July 24, 2009

Dad's help



My Dad was able to come up and visit when Solomon was about three weeks old. I was so grateful for his help since Haakon was gone during that same week on a Scout rafting trip in the Yukon.

My dad made delicious meals, played lots with the kids, and completed several things on the "honey-do" list. It was SO nice to have him here. I wish we could have him come more often!

He brought gifts for the girls birthday's, one of which was a rock painting book. (The girls love that kind of stuff!)

The best part was that he got right in there and painted rocks with them. He actually made some really great pieces. (I never knew my dad had artistic talents!)

He painted a car that Torsten loved so much he refused to put it down for days..... he even slept with it. It was quite the toy! We got a kick out of him making car noises and driving the rock around.
Dad took them to the zoo and gave me a chance to get some much needed shopping done.

He was also able to come and watch the girls in there soccer games and helped me survive dealing with all four kids in public.
He read my kids stories every night. They loved it, and actually looked forward to bedtime. (I took this candid picture when they weren't looking so it is kind of a strange shot but I didn't want to ruin the moment with a camera.)

My favorite thing was when he held little Saul. He turned into such a softy! Cooing and figuring out just what calmed him down. Saul got a little spoiled taking regular naps on grandpa but I wouldn't change it for the world. I have a picture of me being cuddled in this exact same way by my dad when I was a baby.

Thanks dad for coming up and spending time with my family and I. We really enjoyed it and look forward to having you come back again too!

7 comments:

Julia Harps said...

how cool. YOur dad is awesome. Every picture was priceless.
(you don't know me, I'm a Hirt from Fairbanks. My mom and Midge are good friends)

Brett and Lex said...

That last picture is so cute! How could anyone resist sweet baby Saul! What a good Dad!!

Bobbi Mason said...

That was so precious. Being a daddy's girl, that last picture brought a tear to my eye. How special!

WillandTara said...

This post made me cry! I love my Uncle Joe! What a true example of being a good father and grandpa. I hope I can be this good to my kids. Love you guys!
Tara

PS I think I will appreciate my parents more now that I am so far away.

Robyn Hollobaugh said...

Uncle Joe was always tons of fun! My first experience knee boarding & water skiing was when he took me and I LOVED it. (I think you and Ryan were there too) I remember him introducing "The Blue Men" to us. (that group that paints themselves blue and plays the funny instruments)He is a FUN guy. Very cute & sweet posts of your fam w/your parents. I enjoyed reading them and I'm glad they were able to come and spend time w/you!

Julie said...

What an awesome Dad! I don't think my dad would ever do something like that and I can't picture Mo doing it without Coleen along. Way cool!

Leslie said...

I think your dad is officically the coolest/best grandpa EVER!