Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lauren's Appendectomy

Lauren, woke up in the middle of the night complaining of a tummy ache. I thought she probably had eaten something bad so she slept in our bed and was miserable all night. In the back of my mind I wondered if she might have appendicitis. The next morning she threw up so I decided it was just a bad flu bug and put her to bed. Then the fever set in and by the end of that day she was hunching over to walk to the bathroom. I thought she was just being dramatic, because that is just the kind of child that she is, but it was very concerning. I asked her where it hurt and she didn't give me the tell tale sign that it was painful on her right side. By the next morning she was very miserable. Complaining that it hurt to move. When her dad carried her down the stairs she cried at every step. He called the doctor immediately and we were told that her symptoms were for appendicitis. They admitted her right away and after an ultrasound showing the very enlarged appendix they rushed her in and took it out just in time.



The surgeon was so cute and put a heart shaped bandage over her incision site, which happened to be in her belly button.
When we showed the heart to her initially she burst into tears and said, "They cut out my belly button???!!!" Luckily they didn't, and after a few weeks of slower paced recovery, she and her belly button are as good as new. We are soooo glad it didn't burst!
We love you Lauren Loves!!!

No comments: