Much to my dismay (and my husband and family) the wonderful visions of a terrific ski season this year were cut short. Call it bad luck, call it showing off, call it divine intervention, but I had to have surgery on my left knee Jan. 10th for an ACL reconstruction.

(Ramsey, me and Haakon at Hatchers Pass the day of...)
Some of the comments right after the accident and in the days following:
Jeremy: (one of the youth in our church ward) Bishop, your wife just did something cool off the jump..... but then she crashed. (It was a spread eagle.... which apparently dates me pretty badly that he didn't have a clue!)
Ramsey (Haakon's sister): Act your age!!! (she didn't know I was hurt yet.)
Haakon: (In his mind) There goes my ski partner............... and everything else......... oh NO!

After an enjoyable (ha ha) ride down the mountain on someones borrowed sled..... no ski patrol here!
Midge (Haakon's mom): You are a mother of three, you are not supposed to be going off jumps!
Corinne: Mommy, I wish you had never showed off.
Lauren: Are those your scrutches?
Torsten: Waaaaa waaaaa! (translation: Mommy why can't you pick me up!)
It has been quite an eye opener to all involved to see what happens to a household when "The Mom" gets put out of commission. We have been so appreciative of all of the help we have been given so far and feel so grateful for all of the family and friends that have pitched in to help us out.
The first few days after the surgery were a little rough with all the dizziness and nausea I dealt with. (Crackers and water were getting a little old!)
I am feeling much better now and start my Physical Therapy tomorrow. After almost two weeks of waiting to have the surgery I am so happy to be on that uphill climb that will get me back to where I should be.
This whole experience has opened my eyes to my own mortality (I'm not invincible?) and I am grateful for the many life lessons that I have experienced and will continue to as I progress over the next 6 weeks.
And yes Corinne, even though showing off is part of my genetic make-up (thank you dad!) it is really not worth doing........ when you look at the potential consequences. Don't you think I might have learned that one before age 32? Some of us never grow up! ;)


10 comments:
Oh Lindsay! I'm so sorry! We've been dealing with my dad's knee stuff all year - not fun! I hope you have a quick recovery and physical therapy goes well! We'll be in Anchorage in a couple weeks and would love to stop and say hi! Take care!!!
Hey Lindsay, I was so happy to receive your pic today with your blog address. I love reading blogs! Sorry to hear about your accident. We are just back from Idaho... and are hoping to go to New York in a few weeks. I have just caught up with your family news sounds like you have had a great year.
I just turned 30 so don't tell at 32 I'm suppost to grow up. I finally learned how to snowboard. It took me 10 years but I got it and now I want to play.
Oh Lindsay! I hope that the healing goes quickly and that you're up and at them again really soon.
You and your spread eagles. I'm sorry to hear that you had surgery. I don't think this incident will prevent you from tearin' it up in the future. I have a blog too. It's really nerdy...I feel pretty awkward about it. However, it's a great way to keep in touch. I loved reading about your family. Thanks for sending me a christmas card. love ya linds!
We are sorry to hear about your knee, but are so glad to get your Christmas card. We were planning on sending you one but Mark didn't have an address for me and we were moving so I didn't push him too hard. Your family is so cute. It will be fun to keep up on your family and see what is new!
Mark and Joann
Spread eagles rule! I'm glad you're on the mend! I wish I could have been there to help you. Talk to you soon!
Hi Lindsay & Haakon! It's Amy Porter/Andersen, from Fairbanks. I saw your blog address on Annie's blog. Looks like you guys had a very busy 2007! Sorry to hear about your ACL. You can check out our blog at www.akporters.blogspot.com
We actually did Kennicot over the summer as well, what an adventure. It's one of my husband and FIL's favorite places....just not so kid friendly. I'm about to have our third kid this month. I'll have to call you sometime. Would love to see you all.
Amy
Lindsay, I finally got a chance to look up your blog. I love it and will be checking back often. I hope you don't mind if I add you to my contact list. Alaska looks amazing. Sorry about your injury. Any change can be so confusing to kids. I hope you and your family recover soon.
Hey Linds! Your mom told me about your fun adventure :) If I had your phone # I would've called to listen to your laugh as you told the story again :) Maybe I need to come out and help ya!?! ;) Hope the recovery goes well. Love ya! ~Wendy~
Post a Comment